Ideas for Activities
Host families often ask us for suggestions of what to do or see with their French student during their stay in Minnesota. Here are some activities that past host families have enjoyed sharing with their French student.
But remember: the purpose of the Family Stay is to immerse your French student into your family’s everyday life, so the ordinary activities are often the best!
- Visit your town’s summer festivals.
- Swim at a nearby pool or park, or visit a water park.
- Picnics or BBQs are a great way to enjoy the outdoors.
- Many families enjoy taking the French student “to the cabin” or a favorite lake.
- Explore a state park or visit the sights of Duluth.
- Go on walks around your neighborhood.
Around the Twin Cities:
- Visit the State Capitol.
- Explore the Science Museum.
- Walk or bike around Lake Calhoun.
- Go tubing down the Apple River.
- Check out the Aquatennial festival in downtown Minneapolis.
- Visit the Minnesota Zoo or the Como Zoo.
- Visit Minnehaha Falls.
- Most French kids love tennis, soccer, and biking (we have over 700 miles of bike trails in Minnesota!).
- Cheer on the Twins or the St. Paul Saints.
- Introduce your student to bowling
- Try a round of mini-golf with the whole family!
- Teach your student Frisbee Golf.
- Teach your French student to make pancakes or chocolate chip cookies.
- Cook a family dinner together.
- Invite neighbors or other family members over to meet your French student!
- Play cards or board games together.
- Ask your student to show you how to make a favorite French dish.
- The Mall of America is always a must-see!
- Great souvenirs can also be found at nearby outlet malls.
- Even a trip to Target or the grocery store would be a new experience.